Thursday, August 9, 2018

Getting ready to depart

I'm just a few days away from departing for my new adventure, teaching computers and business on Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands. So the first question is probably... huh? Where the heck is that?

Well, it's here... on that tiny little dot that you can't actually see. It's there though, I swear. Just look at the red marker. Or just search it out on Google Maps, and zoom in - a lot.























Basically, the island is home to the Reagan Test Site, where the US Army does a variety of missile defense tests, and has a wide array of fancy radars and such. The site is also used for some rocket launches and a variety of other research. Thus it happens to hold over 1,000 civilian personnel and their families. And those families have kids... hence a school system, and my new job.

Here...
















And here's a better look at the island....


























So - I leave on Sunday, August 12th, for my new company's deployment center in Texas, where I will go through some medical screening and do a variety of trainings. Then I'll fly out to Kwajalein sometime during that week. I'll post more about the trip itself and my time on the island once I get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment